Pancetta is Italian bacon that is not smoked in the curing process. You can find it at most delis.
- ½ pound of pancetta cut into small cubes
- ½ pound of thin stemmed asparagus, cut into ½ inch pieces
- 1 cup cooked orzo (pasta that’s shaped like rice)
- 12 eggs - beaten
- a pinch of salt
- ½ cup smoked Swiss cheese that has been grated
- Salt, pepper, & Provence herbs to taste
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil (enough to coat the bottom of a ten inch fry pan).
- Sauté the pancetta in olive oil until it is crisp.
Next, add the following ingredients in the order that they are listed:
- Onions – sauté until soft & translucent
- Asparagus – sauté until just tender – do not overcook
- Cooked orzo - incorporate it with the other ingredients
- Beaten eggs
- Smoked Swiss cheese
Now scramble all of the above until the eggs are set and the cheese has melted.
Note: “lightly” season with salt, pepper, and herbs after each ingredient is added.
Plating the Dish:
Serve immediately over a bed of greens (I prefer kale), surrounded by warmed cherry tomatoes with a balsamic vinegar reduction and toast points.