- 4tbs butter
- 4 tbs flour
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- 1 tsp Provence herbs
- 1 tbs Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbs Dijon mustard
- 1 cup beer or white wine
- 2 cups grated cheese (I use a blend, but your favorite will be great)
- salt & pepper
- Melt butter in a double boiler (it keeps the sauce from burning but it will take longer to cook)
- Add shallots and cook for 3 to 5 minutes
- Add herbs, Worcestershire and mustard & cook another 2 minutes
- While whisking, add the beer or wine, then the cream or milk, and finally the cheese
- Salt & pepper to taste
These measurements are not exact, so play around to suit your taste.
The bread you use is important. Get good, dense bread that has a firms crust. For example: Italian or French bread with whole grains. And, toast it first.