Cornmeal Buttermilk Waffles with Pomegranate Syrup
These waffles combine the savory taste of cornmeal with the lightness of added yeast - they melt in your mouth. And, pomegranate syrup is the perfect accompaniment.
- 2 1/2 tsp active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup yellow stone ground cornmeal
- 1 cup light baking flour
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 stick butter, melted & cooled
- Proof yeast in warm water for 15 minutes.
- Add eggs and buttermilk, mixing until combined.
- Whisk in cornmeal, flour, sugar and salt.
- Beat melted butter into mixture.
- Cover & refrigerate overnight.
- Spray waffle iron with cooking spray and bake following manufacturer's instructions.
- Cook waffles for about 4 1/2 - 5 minutes.
Recipe yields 6 to 8 seven inch waffles.
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 2 cups 100% pomegranate syrup
- 1/4 cup pomegranate liquor (optional)
- Place all ingredients in a sauce pan.
- Cook over medium heat until reduced by at least 1/3.
- Skim off impurities while cooking.