If you have heard of hummingbird cake – this is the pancake version – an original recipe from The Lion & The Rose.
- 4 cups of any prepared pancake mix
- ½ cup of firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- a pinch of ground nutmeg
- ½ cup shredded coconut
- ½ cup chopped toasted pecans
- 2 finely chopped bananas
- 1 cup crushed pineapple
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 Teaspoon of vanilla
- ½ to 1 cup of milk – the batter should be a little thick
- 4 eggs
- vegetable oil for cooking
- Combine the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Combine all the wet ingredients, then mix them with the dry ingredients until just blended.
- Heat some oil in a frying pan or griddle on medium high heat, or at 325 degrees if using an electric griddle.
- Pour batter by ¼ cupfuls onto a lightly greased hot pan or griddle;
- Turn when bubbles form on top of pancakes and bottom is golden brown.
Serve with warm, pure maple syrup and coconut rum sauce.
Coconut Rum Sauce:
Combine the following ingredients in a blender:
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- ½ cup coconut milk
- 4 tablespoons dark rum
Plating the Dish:
Pour enough maple syrup onto the plate first to cover the bottom. Then place the pancakes on top of the syrup. Top the pancakes with the coconut rum sauce and sprinkle with toasted coconut.
This recipe serves 4 – 6 hungry people.