December 28, 2018
Top 10 Winter Activities in Asheville
Posted by: Karen Wilson
- Vanderbilt House Party at Biltmore - Starting February 8, 2019, you could be one of the first visitors to experience Biltmore as if you had been a guest of the Vanderbilts at the turn of the 19th century. A new audio-guided tour offers narration based on those who lived and worked in Biltmore. Clothing vignettes are based on actual Vanderbilt wardrobes and were designed by Oscar winning costume designer John Bright, best known for his creations for the wildly popular series, "Downtown Abbey".
- Explore Beer City USA - The local craft brewing scene has exploded and Asheville has been voted Beer City USA 4 years in a row, Asheville takes extreme pride in being home to over 20 local craft brewers. Whether you take a Brews cruise or a DIY tour on the Asheville Ale Trail, a brewery hopping exploration is the perfect way to keep warm and enjoy a cold, winter weekend.
- Find out why Asheville ranks first in the South Atlantic region in the RewardExpert 2017’s Best American Foodie Towns. With hundreds of restaurants and farm fresh eateries, you will not be disappointed by the choices of restaurants. You can also sample and taste some of Asheville’s best restaurants by taking a guided eating tour with a professional foodie.
- Asheville Restaurant Week (Jan 21-27, 2019) - Try some new restaurants or revisit favorites and get the lowest prices of the year, with a prix fix menu at $15-$35/person. With dozens of choices, there's something for all appetites! Asheville has been touted by many as one of the top ten food and wine destinations in America.
- Hiking – Less crowds means quieter hikes. It is a great time to hit the trails! Discover peace and solitude with expansive views of the Blue Ridge Mountains on a cool, clear day. Dupont State Forest offers several hikes from easy to difficult and is famous for being one of "The Hunger Games" film locations. Chimney Rock offers breathtaking views of the gorge after climbing up the chimney. Pisgah National Forest offers the opportunity of seeing a frozen waterfall at Daniel Ridge Falls.
- Sharpen your photography skills with our friends, Chris & Bonnie at Asheville Photo Tours. Choose a half-day or full-day photo tour to some of the most photogenic but lesser-known locations in the Blue Ridge / Asheville area.
- Tap into your creative side by taking an art class with some of the talented, local artists. Day and weekend workshops include oil painting, acrylics, watercolor, inks, bookbinding, and pottery.
- Live music – Asheville has been called “One of America’s Greatest Music Cities”. We have a vibrant music scene and there is always live music of all genres from bluegrass to rock that can be found. The Orange Peel has been called the nation's premiere Live Music Hall and Concert Venue featuring the very best in live music and cultural arts offering state-of-the-art sound and lighting equipment rarely found in a club of its size.
- Pamper yourself with a luxurious foot soak in a hand-hammered copper bowl. Enjoy a fragrant, rejuvenating, and moisturizing sole to soul experience and a signature massage at Wake Foot Sanctuary.
- And don't forget to indulge in a romantic getaway to The Lion and the Rose and snuggle up with your loved one next to one of our fireplaces with a cup of hot chocolate or a glass of wine :)