Things to Do
Asheville, North Carolina is one of the most unique cities in the South, surrounded by the natural beauty of the Blue Ridge Mountains, the oldest and most lush mountain range in the world. But natural beauty is just part of its charm. Often referred to as "the Paris of the South," Asheville is packed with art, crafts, antique shops, music, entertainment, varied & unique architecture, tourist attractions, and many excellent independently owned restaurants. The Lion and the Rose Bed and Breakfast is in the best possible location for you to experience all that the area offers.
Food & Libation
Asheville has not only been nicknamed "Beer City USA" for having more breweries per capita than any other U.S. city but is now being called one of the "Best food cities in America" for the number of restaurants per capita. Asheville's foodie scene also strongly supports local farmers and showcases regional cuisine.
- Asheville Ale Trail - Your Guide to All Things Beer in Beer City, USA
- Eating Asheville - Walking Food & Brewery Tours
Our Restaurant Picks
- Bouchon - French Comfort Food
- Carmel's Restaurant & Bar - Contemporary American Cuisine
- Cucina 24 - Classic Italian
- Laughing Seed - Completely Vegetarian
- Limones - Mexican & Californian Cuisine
- The Marketplace - European & American Cuisine
- Mela - Indian Cuisine
- Modesto - Italian cuisine - wood fired oven
- Posana - 100% Gluten Free, locally grown food
- Salsa's - Mexican & Caribbean Cuisine
- Tupelo Honey Cafe - Nouveau Southern Cuisine
- Zambra's - Spanish & Medtierranean Tapas & Wine
Grove Park Neighborhood (A few miles from Downtown)
- Grove Park Inn - American Cuisine (Several Choices for Dining)
Montford Historic District
- Chiesa - Neighborhood Italian, Home Made Pastas (2 blocks from The Lion and the Rose)
- Nine Mile - Jamaican/Caribbean Cuisine, Vegetarian Friendly (1/2 Block from the Lion & the Rose Bed and Breakfast)
- Sunny Point Cafe - American Cuisine
Biltmore Village Area (Just South of Downtown, Near Biltmore Estate Entrance)
- Luella's Bar-B-Que - Smoked meats & fresh sides made with love.
- Plant - Vegan - no animal products; sophisticated flavor, scratch made food.
River Arts District (RAD)
- 12 Bones Smokehouse - Southern Barbeque. President Obama ate here.
- India Garden - Authentic Indian cuisine. Across from Asheville Mall.
Make Restaurant Reservations Online
Outdoor Activities and Adventures
Asheville is the perfect spot for outdoor lovers! Experience hiking, biking, rafting, fishing, ziplining and discovering nature. From the Blue Ridge Parkway to Pisgah National Forest to Chimney Rock to Dupont State Park, there are endless options for adventure around Asheville.
Here are some of our favorite outdoor activities and adventures to get you started but we would be happy to make personal recommendations just for you.
On the Blue Ridge Parkway
- Blue Ridge Mountain Host
- Folk Art Center
- Craggy Pinnacle Trail with panoramic views
- Graveyard Fields waterfall trails
- Top 12 Waterfalls off the Blue Ridge Parkway
And many more overlooks, trails, waterfalls! We can provide directions and more details for you upon request.
Our Favorite Outdoor Places For Hiking and Photography
Our Other Recommended Outdoor Activities
- Asheville Fly Fishing Company - Guided fishing trips for smallmouth bass, trout & musky in Western North Carolina
- Asheville Photo Tours - experience the beauty of the Blue Ridge from your camera!
- Blue Heron Whitewater Rafting
- Brookside Guides - guided fly fishing and instruction
- French Broad River - Whitewater Rafting and Zipline
- Headwater Outfitters Outdoor Adventures
- Nantahala Center - Rafting, canoeing, kayaking, and mountain biking
- Navitat Canopy Adventures - Asheville's Zip Line Tour
- Pisgah Mountain Bike Adventures - private 1/2 day, full day or multi-day trips with professional guides
- Sandy Bottom Trail Rides - Horseback Riding
- Smoky Mountain Llama Treks - Enjoy hiking scenic mountain trails with friendly pack llamas
- Southern Appalachian Anglers - guided, waded fly fishing and float trips
- USA Raft - Adventure Guides
- Zen Tubing
Sightseeing Around Asheville
- Asheville Historic Trolley Tours
- Asheville Art Gallery Directory
- Asheville Area Arts Council - for Music, Visual Art, Theater, & Dance
- Biltmore Estate
- Thomas Wolfe Memorial
- LaZoom Comedy Tours of Asheville
- Grove Park Inn and Spa
- Biltmore Village Shopping District
- River Arts District (RAD)
- Riverside Cemetery
- Fine Arts Theater
- Isis Restaurant and Music Hall
- The Orange Peel Social & Pleasure Club
- Tressa’s Downtown Jazz & Blues
- New Morning Gallery of Fine Crafts